Wednesday, August 5, 2009

My WWII Free Verse Poem


Free Verse Poem
The Raid
At the crack of dawn the alarm rings,
Not a single bird sings.
It’s been eleven hours since our last raid.
I wonder if our time is up.
Is this the last day of our lives?
Soon after I hear the drone of the airplane engines.
The low drone of the plane is nothing new.
No. there is something new.
It’s somehow different not quite what I’ve heard before.
Is it a Heinkel or Messerschmitt?
It might be a new model
What has the German Reich got its hands on this time?
We hear the first bomb drop,
More howling then the ear-splitting explosion as it landed on a house.
We sit there in our shelter for what seemed like days, when the blasts suddenly stopped.
We clamber out and look around; we see our house in ruins.
We look for dad; he is nowhere to be found.
I doubt we will ever see him again.

3 comments:

C MacGregor said...

that is a really good poem. it's probably better than mine. i like it because reading it i really can see an image in my hed of whats going on.

from the one who knows everything(MilkShake baby)

S Kelly said...

Rofl!! Yes thx 4 that. YAY!! 4 life!! thx again:)

tom P. said...

that was a good poem with a lot of detail, good work!